Sunday, November 14, 2010

Boys Boys Boys, (lengthy pause) Girls Girls Girls

 Ah, lad lit. Lad lit that appeals to both sexes, due to the absolute hilarity captured (I say captured, because the reader feels lucky to be experiencing such things) within these pages. The runner line under the author's name stating 'Winner of the Michael L. Printz Award for Looking for Alaska' is probably only meaningful to librarians and Young Adult geeks such as myself, but it is an interesting marketing device. One of my favourite Young Adult novels of 2009, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, was named a Printz Honor Book, so I guess that's why it piqued my interest.  

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green (Speak, 2006)

Colin Singleton, 18-year-old child prodigy (not genius: there's a difference, explains Colin) and recent high-school graduate has been dumped, yet again. By who? Well, Katherine #19, who else? That's a lot of Katherines to get through in your lifetime, let alone 18 short, latin-filled years.

When it comes to girls (and in Colin's case, it so often did), everyone has a type. Colin Singleton's type was not physical, but linguistic: he liked Katherines. And not Katies or Kats or Kitties or Cathys or Rynns or Trinas or Kays or Kates or, God forbid, Catherines. K-A-T-H-E-R-I-N-E. He had dated nineteen girls. All of them had been named Katherine. And all of them--every single solitary one--had dumped him. 

Colin and his trusty best friend, 'who gives a fug' Hassan, decide to take a roadtrip for the summer, to lift Colin out of the deep fog he's wandering in. Hot, sweaty and disgruntled, the duo arrive in the birthplace of Billie-Mae and Aunty Sue (at least, that's their first impression of the town), the place where Archduke Franz Ferdinand is buried--yep, Gutshot, Tennessee. Even I have to admit this stink-hole sounds like H-E-L-L and not exactly the place you'd like to wile away your troubles. On their quest to see the Duke and slay dragons, the boys meet Lindsey Lee Wells, general store attendant with smarts and enough guts to make sure every day is Tell-it-like-it-is-Tuesday. In need of a job, Colin and Hassan are invited to stay with Lindsey and her Mum, Hollis, in exchange for interviewing the townsfolk and putting together a history of Gutshot.

All Young Adult stories (nay, all stories, but it seems to be a particular, if unspoken trend in Young Adult fiction) should have what I like to call a shining light, for want of a better cliche: a character who will pull everyone out of themselves and get them to remove their heads from their arses. Usually they should be able to manage this feat when those around them need it the most, with good humour and a deep understanding of the protagonist. Hassan was made for this. I say made, but that doesn't mean manufactured. His presence in the story is so natural and right. I have a friend like this and it is only because she knows me so well that she can pull this stuff off and tell me when I need to quit my whinging and stop talking about jumpers and lifts - cheers Steph (please note, she differs greatly in appearance and general politeness from Hassan).

But back to Hassan, just read his opening scene in the book. I dare you not to chuckle (and I hope you read it in public, so someone else can ask what you're laughing about and you can share the good news - I sound like a street preacher, but I swear it isn't the case).

May I also say how refreshing it is to see a boy squirming over a girl in fiction? Perhaps this is sometimes the case in real life too and we shouldn't be too quick to judge. This corner of market is flooded with female authors (far too many in the paranormal romance section, so shoot me now) but this only serves to make the male authors more noticeable, like a pair of rare, vintage cowboy boots (I'm a girl and I really like shoes - I couldn't really think of a more masculine comparison, so shut it, hombre). 

Things I Love About This Book

1. The boys say 'fug' or 'fugging' instead of actually swearing. This tickles my fancy for some out-there reason.

2. Hassan refers to Colin as 'Sitzpinkler' ("A German word, slang for "wimp," that literally means "a man who sits to pee.") If it weren't so inherently weird, I may try to work it in to everyday conversation. 

3. We learn that boys and girls can be equally awful to each other and equally pathetic. It just sits very nicely, as I swirl it around in my mind-grapes (thanks, Tracy Jordan).


What else? Colin learns how to be more of a human being over the course of the story and less of a prodigy (but mainly, just less of a dick). The story, the characters, the town are real, kooky, and hilarious using equal measures of intellect and toilet-based humour.

John Green, I think I may have a crush on you.

4 comments:

  1. I like books that show boys and girls as people and that can be read with pleasure and edification by both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, David. 'An Abundance of Katherines' is such a great example. I hope more people will give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I read this when it came out, because I read a review in the Times and then requested it in a Secret Santa thing at school. I enjoyed it, so I was glad to see you review it. Sort of silly lad lit escapism, but the characters were fun, and it was quite unique. In a decade of sequels and tired tropes, I had fun seeing what could come of a union between anagrams, teenage relationships, and a road trip. The original cover was very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for weighing in, Giovanni. Yeah, I did a little research to find out what the original cover looked like, but I have to say I like the one I bought. It reminds me a bit of Battlestar Galactica and the cylons *hides because she has now revealed her nerd stripes*. I think anagramming is such a unique talent (and something I'm going to try more often from now on). Cheers for your comments.

    Katia

    ReplyDelete