Sunday, October 24, 2010

Star Light, Star Bright

Though I cannot entirely be sure, I think many of the stories I've liked about stars over the years may have held a special place in my heart because of this English nursery rhyme:
Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight;
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
Review: Starry Starry Night by Sarah Kate Mitchell (Murdoch Books, November 2010 - Age group: 5-8 and adults)

Ahhh, picture books. I may not have any children (I do know a few), but this doesn't stop my insane, heartfelt love of picture books and all they represent. I remember being read to as a tiny one myself and enjoyed nothing more. If some twit proposes (at whatever point in the future) that there is no use for the printed picture book and parents should just read them to their children on the iPad, I will go postal. Seriously, if you are the unfortunate person (Nicholas Callaway, I'm watching you) who suggests such nonsense, I will hunt you down. If I have left this world, I will simply have to be content with haunting you for the rest of your miserable, iTwitty days.

Rant over. 

This, my good people, is the front cover. The image absolutely does not do it justice. Glossy, smooth, bright and yet incorporating a rich colour palette: this hardcover book is meant to held and looked at up close.


The premise for this story is such an important one in children's literature today. Starry Starry Night takes you on a true journey of the imagination: encourages thoughts, ideas, and ponderings. When young Jeffrey sees a star fall from the sky, his endless curiousity takes hold. Why did it fall? Where did it go? How can I put it back in the sky? So we begin our journey with Jeffrey; Jeffrey begins to travel on his own path, leafing through his own imaginings.

Debut writer/illustrator Sarah Kate Mitchell has produced work of astounding quality. The illustrations are whimsical, coloured in deep, varied hues of blue and purple and interspersed with the brightest, twinkliest stars you've ever seen. The message that the biggest, best sorts of magic can happen in your own head is very strong and beautifully put, built up over the course of the narrative.  

Starry Starry Night tells a story, whilst instilling the importance of storytelling in the young. As with all beautiful things, they're better experienced in the real. I highly suggest you take a trip to your local book store, pick up a copy, and see the magic for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. I highly doubt the days of the children's picture book are over, I certainly hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news, Lyndy. I'm sure you'll have it any day now.

    ReplyDelete